Move running virtual machines from one physical server to another with no impact to end users. vMotion keeps your IT environment up and running, giving you unprecedented flexibility and availability to meet the increasing demands of your business and end users.
- Reduce IT costs and improve flexibility with server consolidation
- Decrease downtime and improve reliability with business continuity and disaster recovery
- Increase energy efficiency by running fewer servers and dynamically powering down unused servers with our green IT solutions
Experience Game-changing Virtual Machine Mobility
vMotion technology, deployed in production by 80% of VMware customers*, leverages the complete virtualization of servers, storage, and networking to move an entire running virtual machine instantaneously from one server to another. vMotion uses the VMware cluster file system to control access to a virtual machine’s storage. During a vMotion, the active memory and precise execution state of a virtual machine is rapidly transmitted over a high speed network from one physical server to another, and access to the virtual machines disk storage is instantly switched to the new physical host. Since the network is also virtualized by the VMware host, the virtual machine retains its network identity and connections, ensuring a seamless migration process.
- Perform live migrations with zero downtime, undetectable to the user.
- Continuously and automatically optimize virtual machines within resource pools.
- Perform hardware maintenance without scheduling downtime and disrupting business operations.
- Proactively move virtual machines away from failing or underperforming servers.
Reliably Manage Live Migrations with Ease
Benefit from the reliability and manageability derived from a production-proven product used by thousands of customers for years. Live migration of virtual machines across your infrastructure is surprisingly simple with functionality that lets you:
- Perform multipl e concurrent migrations to continuously optimize a virtual IT environment.
- Identify the optimal placement for a virtual machine in seconds with a migration wizard providing real-time availability information.
- Migrate any virtual machine running any operating system across any type of hardware and storage supported by vSphere, including Fibre Channel SAN, NAS and iSCSI SAN.
- Prioritize live migrations to ensure that mission-critical virtual machines maintain access to the resources they need.
- Schedule migrations to happen at pre-defined times, and without an administrator’s presence.
- Maintain an audit trail with a detailed record of migrations.
VMware vMotion can be purchased as a component of all VMware vSphere editions/acceleration kits and also in the Essentials Plus kit for SMBs.
vCenter Server is required for the use of this feature.