IBM FileNet Content Manager
IBM FileNet Content Manager brings the latest technologies in social collaboration and mobile computing to enterprise content management. FileNet Content Manager extends enterprise content,management with easy-to-use social collaboration capabilities and leverages the flexibility of mobile computing to untether users from their desktop devices when desired.
FileNet Content Manager features include:
- A single repository for enterprise content management to provide centralized access and better control.
- Document management services to streamline content management and delivery.
- Delivery of active content in motion for improved business value and reduced costs.
- Integration with Microsoft® SharePoint® and Microsoft Office to help increase productivity.
- DITA support to improve productivity for advanced document management.
- Content federation to manage content in place, or to migrate content when the time it right.
- Social collaboration capabilities enable the repository to track and manage social interaction around managed content.
- Mobile computing brings enterprise content management capabilities to your mobile device for content access when you want, where you want.
- Application development support through proprietary and industry-standard APIs
A single repository for enterprise content management
- Uses content federation services to centralize access to content from multiple IBM and third-party repositories for improved tracking and control of enterprise content in one location.
- Provides centralized access through federation of metadata or content migtraion from disparate repositories into FileNet Content Manager.
Document management services
- Delivers core capabilities, including document versioning, content security and lifecycle management features.
- Supports a wide range of content types, including XML documents, Microsoft Office documents, web pages, photos, voice, images and process definitions and templates.
- Offers advanced features, including support for Darwin Information Typing Architecture (DITA)-based XML.
- Uses an extensible object model to allow complex taxonomy management using extensive metadata and folder organization capabilities.
Delivery of active content in motion
- Provides automated “review-and-approve” document workflows to improve task completion rates, enable faster task completion and help reduce processing and research costs.
- Uses event and subscription capabilities to deliver active content.
- Utilizes business rules to drive automated actions triggered by active content changes.
- Enables faster reactions to customer demands by automating processes triggered by customer events.
Integration with Microsoft SharePoint and Microsoft Office
- Allows users to author, browse and manage their FileNet Content Manager content, and workflows from within the Microsoft SharePoint user interface.
- Provides quick and easy access to content stored in FileNet Content Manager without users having to leave the familiar user interfaces of Microsoft Office 2007 and 2010 applications.
- Offers Content Management Interoperability Services (CMIS) support for easier integration of FileNet Content Manager with Microsoft SharePoint, SAP® and other third-party systems.
- DITA is the OASIS standard for designing, authoring, and publishing modular information - technical publications, help sets, or Web sites
- DITA is a markup language, providing topics for content, maps for collecting and publishing content
- DITA is an architecture; specialized to create new types of topics and maps, with inheritance of existing processing
- FileNet Content Manager supports the DITA standard to enable hundreds or even thousands of subject matter experts to collaborate in the creation of complex documents intended for eventual publication in various print and online media
- Enables the management of content in place from multiple, diverse repositories
- Provides a cost-effective content management solution when content migration is not the best solution, yet includes content migration capabilities when the time is right for migration.
- Content Federation Services are available for FileNet Content Services, FileNet Image Services, IBM FileNet Content Manager, IBM Content Manager and IBM Content Manager OnDemand.
Social collaboration capabilities
The following Social content management capabilities are enhancements to version 5.2 which enable the repository to track and manage social interaction around managed content. They are delivered as extensions to the repository capabilities, its data model, and Application Programming Interfaces (APIs).
Note: At the time of general availability they are not exposed as user facing capabilities.
- User comments on managed object.
This feature provides users with the ability to add comments to documents and other objects managed by FileNet Content Manager. Users can add multiple comments or view the comment stream associated with any managed object.
- Social tagging of managed object.
This feature provides users with the ability to add tags to documents and other objects managed by FileNet Content Manager, making it easier to find objects at a later date without having to sift through directory structures. Users can add tags or view the tags associated with any managed object.
- Tracking document download.
This feature provides users with the ability to see how many and which users are downloading specific documents from the repository. This enables document owners to understand the audience of documents they manage, and consumers to understand the relevance of documents to their peers.
- Ability for users to recommend a documen.
This feature provides users with the ability to recommend individual documents in the repository and to see the aggregate of multiple recommendations in order to understand how a document is rated by its consumers.
- Large content streaming and large numbers of downloading user.
This feature provides the ability to enable an optimized cache targeted at very large groups of users simultaneously retrieving the same content files or the optimized streaming of large individual files.
- Document thumbnail service.
This capability adds a configurable service, which generates and persists thumbnails of documents as they are added to the repository, as well as the ability to add thumbnails to existing documents. This feature provides users with the option to view thumbnails alongside document properties in folders and search results. This provides more contextual information, thereby speeding and simplifying the discovery process when looking for specific documents.
- User centric recycle bin for deletion and recovery of document.
This feature provides users with a recycle bin for deleted documents. Items placed in the recycle bin can be deleted and purged later on, or if a document is needed before being purged, it can be recovered from the recycle bin without administrator intervention.
- Search result count.
When performing searches with large result sets, this new capability returns a "lookahead count", determining the minimum number of rows in the result set.
- Content Search Services support for Roshal ARchive (RAR.
Content Search Services can now index and search the contents of compressed archive files that use the .rar filename extension. These compressed archive files can be stored in the repository in their compressed state without the need for prior extraction. The new functionality makes it possible to search for and discover documents in the compressed files. A common case for this is RAR attachments for emails archived using IBM Content Collector.
- Content Search Services support for XML namespace and dat.
Content Search Services delivers the ability to search on many aspects of the structure of XML files. This release enhances current capabilities by adding the ability to query on XML namespaces and date elements.
- iOS support for iPhones and iPads provides browse, search and view capabilities.
- Mobile device camera can be used to take photos and add them to FileNet Content Manager directly from your iPhone and iPad.
Application development support
- FileNet APIs provide extensive support for programmatic access to the capabilities of FileNet Content Manager.
- Content Navigator components provide a rich environment for rapid application development.
- CMIS support provides industry-standard API access to content residing in FileNet Content Manager.